Isn’t it so fun buying a new pair of shoes? Don’t you just love wearing them for the first time? You feel so proud of your purchase and how it is the perfect compliment to your style – even better when you get compliments, right?
Of course, there is the dreadful aspect of buying a new pair of shoes…you have to wear them! I don’t know about you, but I have had some of the world’s worst experiences “breaking them in.” I won’t get into any gory details besides letting you know that there are gory details from the process. I can say that despite the pain it takes to break shoes in, it has always been worth it. As a shoe lover, I’d hope you’d agree.
Here are a few pros and cons of being a shoe lover. If you have some clever ones to add, I’d love to hear them!
- You own adorable shoes. You dream about your shoes. You are proud of your collection…hey, you can even call it a collection!
- There’s always a perfect pair of shoes to wear (& if not, you have an excuse to go shopping!).
- You can wear your shoes forever because your shoe size doesn’t fluctuate (thank God, right?! Just don’t get gout).
- You have (or aspire to have) a pair of shoes for every occasion.
- If you’re looking for an adventure on a Sunday afternoon, or anytime, there is always The Shoe Salon at Bergdorf’s or Barneys or… Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman Marcus or Bloomingdales. Even if you’re not in the market to buy a new pair, it is still such an experience to look! You don’t even need a friend to accompany you…the shoes are enough entertainment.
- The high you get from your first purchase (who are we kidding? Every time!) of high-end designer shoes. I can still remember my first “designer” shoe purchase. They were a classic pair of Marc Jacobs black pumps I bought on Newbury Street in Boston. I’d call myself naïve for buying ill-fitting shoes that were not a perfect fit…but as experienced as I am in the shoe department, it is still a regular occurrence.
- The thrill of discovering a new pair (or multiple pairs) of shoes on sale! I love it when my mom or a friend just needs to go to DSW or Macy’s because they are having a gigantic sale. The color coded discounts are not annoying, they are simply another challenge you must overcome in the game of shoe shopping.
- Investing in shoes is never-ending (there is always that next pair you must have)
- The more you wear your favorite pair, the faster the shoe will wear out (bummer…but that’s the perfect excuse to buy more than one color)
- Your friends want to borrow your shoes (wait, other people’s feet are going in my shoe? eh…)
- There’s a good chance your shoes are going to kill your feet – literally murder them. But, was it worth the pain and suffering? Absolutely.
- The God-awful feeling you get when you ruin a pair of shoes. At least many “ruins” can be replaced, but it’ll cost you.
Have you experienced any other pros and cons? We’d love to hear them! Comment below and let me know.